- Make French toast and freeze.
- In the morning, put two pieces in the toaster.
- When they pop up, place cheese and ham slices between them.
|OPEN-FACED PEANUT BUTTER
- Toast whole wheat bread
- Top with peanut butter and warm apple sauce.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
Additional Toppers for the peanut butter: Sliced bananas, or Dill Pickles; or sliced strawberries.
These sandwiches are great for taking on a nature walk.
- Core an apple.
- Fill it with soft cheese or peanut butter.
- Spread peanut butter on one side of a hot dog bun.
- Then place a small peeled banana inside the bun.
- Eat like a hot dog.
CHICKEN SALAD POCKETS
- Mix diced chicken and some chopped celery with a mixture of half plain yogurt and half mayonnaise.
- Let your child spoon the chicken salad into a small pocket bread that has been cut in half.
- Then let your child top his pocket sandwiches with one or more of the following: some shredded carrot, chopped tomatoes, olives, avocado or pickles.
Variation: You could also make tuna, egg , or salmon salad.
|FILL YOUR POCKETS
Set up a sandwich line for your children to make their own pocket sandwiches.
|Set out some cut pocket breads.
|Next, set out some condiments, such as; mayonnaise, mustard, ketchep.
|Set out bowls of tomato slices, cucumber slices, lettuce leafs, and sliced olives.
|Set out a tray of meats and cheeses.
|Encourage your child to take a pocket and fill it with just the ingredients he wants. Set out paper plates and napkins use.
PEANUT BUTTER SQUARES
|Cut bread into fourths.
|Spread two pieces of bread with peanut butter.
|Set out some small spreading knives and some jelly and honey.
|Place the two plain and the two peanut butter squares on a plate.
|Give the plate to your child and let them choose what to spread on each plain piece of bread, before topping it with a peanut butter square.
| PINWHEEL SANDWICH
To liven up a windy day, make any kind of sandwich and turn it into a pinwheel.
|Cut the sandwich into four triangular sections by cutting the sandwich diagonally one way, then diagonally the opposite way.
|Take a plate and place a vegetable slice (carrot or cucumber ) in the center.
|Arrange the triangle sandwich sections around the vegetable slice with the pointed side touching the center slice.
|Variation: You can complete the pinwheel look by adding a celery stock stick to the pinwheel.
TUNA ROLL- UPS
You will need two small whole wheat tortillas, some tuna salad, a couple of toothpicks and two cherry tomatoes for this sandwich.
| CHEESE STICKS
Variation: Before adding the cheese to the toast, you could spoon on some diced tomatoes, or olive spread, or tune fish salad, or whatever you think your child would like.
|Toast one slice of bread.
|Top with shredded cheese.
|Place under broiler until cheese melts.
|Cut toast into three slices.