Holiday time is a great time to encourage your child to explore
her five senses, of seeing, touching, smelling, hearing and tasting.
Help your child discover his world through his eyes.
• Let him help you choose holiday cards.
• Let him watch holiday videos from the past.
• Encourage him to look for signs of the holiday or
season at stores.
• Let him help choose the colors of lights to string
or decorations to hang.
Help your child discover her world through her ears.
• Have her listen for sounds of bells, are they high
sounds or low?
• Listen to holiday music together.
• Help her to make a drum and use it to beat out the
tunes of favorite holiday songs.
Help your child discover his world through his sense
• Encourage him to identify holiday baked goods by their
• Let him help decide what spices or flavoring to put
in holiday cookies.
• Call his attention to the smell of pine.
• Let him help choose the scents of your holiday candles.
Help your child discover her world through her sense
• Go on a trip to a fabric store and help her identify
materials that are smooth, rough, soft, or ribbed.
• Play touch games with your child by searching for
items in your house that are soft, hard, bumpy or smooth.
• Help your child identify foods that are hot or cold.
What a wonderful time for your child to discover things through his
sense of taste.
• Ask questions of your child, such as, "Would you
prefer a candy that is sweet or sour?"
• "Does the cookie taste like pumpkin or lemon?"
• "Are the nuts salty or plain?"
• "Which pie do you like best? Apple or chocolate?"