As your child has fun sailing these homemade boats, she might just
be discovering the basics of propulsion.
To make this boat you will need a plastic paper plate
and a balloon.
- First poke a hole in the middle of the plate.
- Then, stick a balloon through the hole in the plate.
- Blow the balloon up from the back of the plate and knot the
- Have your child set the balloon boat in the bathtub or wading
pool and blow on the balloon to make it go.
Here is another fun boat to make with a balloon and a milk carton.
- Rinse out a ½ gallon milk carton, then cut it in-half
- Using one half of the carton, poke a hole in the middle of the
bottom of the carton.
- Place a balloon in the carton and pull the bottom of the balloon
through the hole. Do not tie the end.
- Blow up the balloon and have your child hold the end tight while
he places the balloon in the water.
- Then have him let go of the balloon. Your child will love watching
the milk carton boat "jet" across the water.
To make this boat, you will need a plastic foam food
tray and some liquid soap.
- First cut the food tray into the shape of a simple square house
with a pointed roof.
- Next, cut out a rectangular door shape at the bottom of the
- Have your child place the boat shape in some water and then
place a few drops of liquid soap in the rectangular opening. Your
child will be delighted when she sees her boat starting to move
across the water.