Here is how you can make a heart cake for your children.
- Make your cake as usual.
- Then, instead of pouring it into two round pans, pour the batter into one round pan and one square pan.
- Make a platter for your cake by covering a large piece of cardboard with foil paper.
- Lay the square cake out on the platter , turned like a diamond shape.
- Then cut the round cake in half and lay the two sides against the two top sides of your square cake.
- Now frost as usual and you will have a heart shaped cake.
- Make pretzel dough from your favorite pretzel recipe.
- Place a large sheet of waxed paper in front of your child.
- Sprinkle the paper with some flour.
- Show your children how to roll a piece of dough to make a long stick shape.
- Then show your children how to shape their sticks into large heart shapes.
- Then let your children sprinkle some course salt or sesame seeds on top of their pretzels.
- Place pretzels on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Using cookie cutters, let your children cut out hearts from pieces of bread.
- Let them spread the hearts with tuna, egg salad or deviled ham spread, for small heart sandwiches.
- Save bread trimmings for use in dressings, puddings or to feed to the birds.
TWO TONED HEART SANDWICHS
You will need both dark bread and white bread for this valentine treat.
- Take a piece of dark bread and a piece of white bread.
- Then, using a cookie cutter, cut a heart in the center of each.
- Now, take the two cut out hearts and switch them in the opposite bread’s cutout space.
- Use the two pieces of bread for the tops of two sandwiches.