- Rinse and dry an empty liquid dishwashing detergent bottle and discard the cap.
- Glue or tape a piece of fabric around the bottom two-thirds of the bottle, leaving the top third of the bottle uncovered for a face.
- Use felt-tip markers to draw eyes, a nose, and a mouth on the face part of the bottle.
- Glue pieces of yarn to the top of the bottle for hair.
RUBBER GLOVE PUPPETS
- Wash and dry an old rubber glove.
- Draw facial features on each finger with a felt-tip marker.
- Use the rubber glove puppet for telling a multi-character story.
- Tuck in the flap of a business-size envelope.
- Place your hand inside the envelope with your fingers at one end and your thumb at the other end.
- Bend the middle of the envelope toward your hand and bring your fingers and thumb together, folding the envelope to make the puppet.
- Use felt-tip markers to draw on facial features.
- Open and close your hand to make the puppet talk.
CRAFT STICK PUPPETS
- Using felt, cut out a small felt hat.
- Glue the hat to the top of a large craft stick.
- Then, create a face below the hat using felt-tip markers.
- Create other felt clothes for your puppet and glue them on.
- Hold up the craft stick puppet as you read stories or rhymes about the puppet character.
GREETING CARD PUPPETS
Here is a great use for old greeting cards.
- Cut out pictures from the cards of animals, people or other characters.
- Attach each one to a craft stick handle.
FINGER FOLD-UP PUPPETS
- Cut out a 5” by 7” rectangle out of paper.
- Fold the rectangle in half lengthwise and then in half again to make a long narrow strip.
- Curl the top half of the paper down and attach it to the idle of the strip with a paperclip.
- Draw a face on the loop and tie some yarn on the top for hair.
- Place a finger in the bottom end of the folded paper to work the puppet.
PAPER SPIDER PUPPET
- Cut a 2” square out of black construction paper.
- Wrap the square snugly around the tip of a finger and tape it securely near the top.
- Cut slits around the bottom of the puppet to make eight legs.
- Fold out the legs.